Yoga has a bad reputation among athletes as being kind of a weak form of exercise. When most athletes think of yoga they just think of stretching and meditation, but it is honestly so much more than that. We can all get a lot out of practicing yoga, but it is especially beneficial for athletes. The following is a list of the top 5 reasons why athletes should come to our yoga studio in Boca Raton:
- Breathing- A big piece of yoga is the development of focused breathing. By practicing focused breathing, you can improve your lung capacity and breathing mechanics, which will make it easier to breathe and get oxygen to your muscles while you work out.
- Awareness- Practicing yoga helps you to become more aware of your own body, how it’s positioned and how it moves. This awareness is a vital skill to learn in order to become a better athlete.
- More Balance and Reduced Injury- Lots of sports encourage one side of your body to be more dominant than the other. This can create an unbalanced body, which can increase your risk for injury. Yoga can bring your body back into balance.
- Bio-Mechanics- The more tension there is surrounding your joints, the more energy is required to move. Yoga helps to make your joints more flexible, so that you will be able to move easier and conserve more energy.
- Recovery- Many sports can generate lactic acid in your muscles, which makes it more difficult to perform. Yoga has been proven to remove the lactic acid from the muscles and put it into the bloodstream, where it can be processed by the liver. Yoga can also enhance sleep, which can go a long way to helping you to recover faster.